Tuesday 19 March 2013

Chains & Anchors


Yesterday I was reminded, once again, about the need to ensure faith formation in our young children.  The recent events brought to mind an illustration I heard a long time ago about the heritage of faith we hope to see developed in our families.  It likened this heritage to a large boat anchor chain.  This is not just any chain, it is a heavy duty chain used to anchor battleships or large tankers.  The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.  The heritage of faith we desire to establish in our families is also like a heavy duty chain.  We want to do all that we can to strengthen our own faith and that of our children to minimize the possibility of encountering weak links.  I was challenged at that time to not be the weak link in the heritage of faith in our family and I want to encourage my children in the same way.  We know also that it is not all of our efforts that keep things strong and healthy.  We must also rely on the Lord, His strength and faithfulness to buoy us in times of inevitable struggle and weakness.  The events that brought this to mind came as I was reading a wonderful article the other day about Christian education.  It was an excellent reminder to me about why I choose to send my children to Christian school.  On the heels of that article came a comment during the opening devotions of a recent meeting.  It was stressed that we want to ensure that the truth is heard by our children and that it will give them anchor points to build upon in the future.  I am excited that my children will continue to have their faith strengthened and will be given strong anchor points when they are eventually called to discern the spirits of the age.  I pray they are anchored in the truth so they are not tossed to and fro by the wind of doctrine, human deceit and cunning.  Pray for our school and our children to grow up strong in faith. ~ Mr. Bouwers

1 comment: