Monday 12 December 2011

Words, Words, Words

I am neither a poet nor an author of fiction.  I don’t write biographies or participate in public speaking engagements on the weekends.  All things considered, it could be said that I do not exclusively use God’s gift of language within the context of my calling. What could be said is that I extensively use His gift of language every day.  It is not only part of my “job” it is part of my life.  I know I am responsible for how I use or abuse this wonderful gift.  We are called to develop the gifts God has placed within us and in His creation.  When we consider the words that we speak we must take note of their powerful impact and their importance.  The Bible recognizes the power of words.  Creation was spoken into existence, Jesus was referred to as the Word, and it is God’s Word that still speaks to us today.  With our use of language we always have choices: life giving or life breaking, edifying or demolishing, building up or tearing down, blessing or cursing, vulgar or wholesome etc.  At school we will be discussing with some of our students how the words that come out of our mouths are a reflection of what is in our hearts.  I would encourage you to join us in this conversation at home.  The fruit of the Spirit should be evident in our actions as well as our words.  Let us keep praying for the Spirit to transform us so that we will honour God in all that we do, in all that we say, and all that we think.  ~Mr. Bouwers

No comments:

Post a Comment