Monday 8 June 2015

Lessons from the Inbox June 8, 2015

In my inbox each morning, I receive the Bible verse of the day from BibleGateway.com.  It is a great way to start the day and to view different pieces of scripture.  Today’s verse of the day comes from Habakkuk 3 and it is verse 19:  “The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,  he enables me to tread on the heights…”  This verse comes at the end of Habakkuk’s prayer, the end of this book of the Bible.  It reminds me of the time I used to spend teaching a unit from Habakkuk called “Every Bit of Who We Are.”  In fact, our grade 8 students at Providence also complete this same unit.  In this book of the Bible, Habakkuk is fed up with the injustice around him and pleads for the Lord to do something about it.  God assures him that He will do something about it and that He will use the Babylonians to teach the lesson.  That does not sit well with Habakkuk and he listens to the indictment the Lord brings upon his people.  In closing Habakkuk acknowledges that the Lord is Lord of all things, knowing that in full time God will be the one to make things right.  He says in 3:17-18, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  As we too look around at the injustice in our world and we struggle to understand it, I can echo what I hear from Habakkuk. Let us keep our eyes focused on God’s sovereignty as we see evidence worldwide of injustice.  Let us rejoice and be joyful in our Lord and Saviour.
~ Mr. Bouwers

1 comment: